Kick-off your Chinese New Year celebrations with these exciting events!
1. Chinatown Chinese New Year Celebrations 2020
When we talk about Chinese New Year shopping, Chinatown is always the first to appear in our mind.
This year’s Street Light-Up features 200 adorable rat lanterns dressed up in traditional Chinese costumes at Eu Tong Sen Street, New Bridge Road and the Garden Bridge. The rat lanterns are coloured in warm tones of pink to evoke feelings of happiness and celebration and to complement the festive atmosphere in Chinatown.
Some other key highlights of the festival include:
– Chinatown Wishing Tree, to hang wishing cards on the lucky banyan tree where all proceeds collected will benefit Kreta Ayer Seniors’ Activity Centre for the underprivileged elderly residing in Chinatown
– Nightly Stage Shows, a packed programme of festive songs, cultural music and lively dance performances, including a nightly dose of the ever-popular Lion Dance
– Mass Reunion Dinner, an annual community initiative that brings together residents from underprivileged families and needy elderly who will get to enjoy Cantonese cuisine in the symbolic and heart-warming affair
– Chinese New Year Countdown Party, with star-studded performances by Mediacorp artistes to countdown to the new year together
– Chingay 2020 @ Chinatown, the largest street performance and float parade in Asia will make an appearance to end off the Chinatown Chinese New Year Celebrations on a high note