Combat sun damage and premature ageing with these sunscreens
Text and photo by Samantha Francis; Styling by Elizabeth Lee
With the on-going heat wave, the best thing you can do for your skin today (and everyday, really), is to ensure it has sufficient protection from sun damage.
These five sunscreens not only boast UV protection, they also come with a myriad of benefits like anti-pollution and moisturising properties.
1. The L’Oréal UV Perfect Aqua Essence City Mist SPF50 ($24.90) offers up to 12 hours of UV protection with its fuss-free spray application. The refreshing mist also helps protect skin against signs of photo ageing: brown spots, darkening, loss of elasticity and wrinkles.
2. For a light textured and water resistant sunscreen, opt for the best-selling Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF50+ PA++++ ($59). It is formulated with the Super Veil-UV 360 technology, which creates a UV-protective veil to protect the skin, no matter which angle the UV rays come from.
3. Enhance your skin’s natural ability to defend itself against pollutants with the Chanel UV Essentiel Multi-Protection Daily Defender UV-Pollution SPF50+ ($73). The complete UV shield safeguards skin both internally and externally by protecting it from harmful rays, pollution and free radicals.
4. Clarins UV Plus Anti-Pollution ($99) is a sheer and ultra-lightweight sunscreen that features broad-spectrum SPF 50 and anti-pollution complex. It protects skin from the appearance of dark spots and future aging, thus preserving youthfulness and radiance.
5. The Face Inc UV Defense SPF 50 Tinted ($38) sunscreen protects the skin from broad-spectrum UVA and UVB sun damage. It also contains the powerful anti-oxidant Vitamin E to moisturise the skin and prevent premature skin aging.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of Weekender, Issue 155, June 24 – July 7, 2016, with the headline ‘Sun care essentials’.