Chefs With Heart helps marginalised youths attain the skills and a job in the culinary line. See what Chef Heman teaches them
In Episode 6 of Chefs with Heart, a reality show featuring 12 trainee youth chefs from marginalised backgrounds, you can see (from the webisode on YouTube) the youths make a white rojak, white burnt custard and roast duck with the help with this week’s mentor.
Chef Heman Tan is from JP Pepperdine, and his skills in the kitchen are apparent.
Getting a Roasting
Chef Heman teaches the trainees the right way to clean out a duck, in order to prepare the English Roast Duck. The trainees start the preparation of the duck for use.
Chef Heman then cautions the students to “learn their fundamentals properly in their culinary journey” in order to achieve success.
The trainees plate their roast ducks and pose happily with their dishes. The next day, they make white rojak – a rojak with prawn paste instead of the usual shrimp paste.
The chef also teaches them the virtue of consistency, as certain dishes may taste different each time you make it, such as with the white rojak.
Making the Grade
About 80 per cent of the grade is based on presentation, taste and hygiene. The remaining 20 per cent comes from a group of guests and food bloggers who will be giving comments.
Chefs with Heart was conceptualised by Josephine of Just Cinnamon and produced with Threeonesix. The successful apprentices will be employed in one of the three chefs’ restaurants after the series.
Watch this programme and pick up culinary tips from the chefs.
Catch Episode 6 of Chefs With Heart at www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwoNBgbh0lg