A staple in any Japanese home, this easy-to-make potato salad is a definite crowd pleaser.
40 mins needed (20 mins for preparation, 20 mins for cooking)
Serves 4 people
- 4 potatoes (peeled, diced and boiled until tender)
- ½ carrot, julienned
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- ¼ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 stalk spring onions, sliced
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and diced
- 1 Tbsp ikura, optional
- 100 ml Japanese mayo
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
Step 1 – Pickle vegetables
- In a mixing bowl, add cucumbers, carrots and onions. Toss with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar, then set aside to pickle for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drain, then set aside.
Tip: Mix it up with diced ham for some meat, green peas for more color or even diced apple for a bit of a crunch!