Try out this easy-to-make recipe for a mushroom-based vegetarian Chinese dish, bound to impress at the dinner table.
Serves 3-4 people
- 400 g Chinese mushrooms, soaked in water, drained, then chopped (can be substituted with shiitake mushrooms)
- 1¼ cups mushroom broth (can be substituted with vegetable broth)
- 400 g firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 30 g water chestnuts, canned, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- ½ stalk spring onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
Step 3 – Thicken the sauce
- Mix 1½ tsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water to make a cornstarch mixture.
- Add cornstarch mixture and 1 tsp sliced spring onions into the wok, bringing up the heat slightly to thicken the sauce.