Try out this easy-to-make recipe for a mushroom-based vegetarian Chinese dish, bound to impress at the dinner table.
Serves 3-4 people
- 400 g Chinese mushrooms, soaked in water, drained, then chopped (can be substituted with shiitake mushrooms)
- 1¼ cups mushroom broth (can be substituted with vegetable broth)
- 400 g firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 30 g water chestnuts, canned, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- ½ stalk spring onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
Step 2 – Cook the tofu and water chestnuts
- Add broth, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp brown sugar, firm tofu and water chestnuts to the wok.
For the tofu, look for packets labeled “Silken Tofu for frying”. This ensures that your tofu won’t fall apart as much when stir-frying.
- Bring broth to a simmer, cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes.