Enjoy the fruity and tropical pairing of pineapple and coconut in this delightful cake
When was the last time you did a little weekend baking?
• 4 Egg yolks, room temperature
• 120 milliliters fresh Milk
• 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
• 200 grams Cake flour or Top flour
• 180 grams Caster sugar
• ½ teaspoon Salt
• 3 teaspoons Baking powder
• 2-4 teaspoon Spice Mix (recipe below)
• 120 grams + 50g unsalted Butter, room temperature
• 60 grams Gula Melaka (palm sugar), grated
• 7 canned Pineapple rings, drained, 2 tablespoons of syrup from the can reserved
SPICE MIX INGREDIENTS:
• 2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground Star anise
• ½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
• ¾ teaspoon ground Cardamom
• ¼ teaspoon Cloves
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
• 150 milliliters Whipping cream
• 1 tablespoon Icing sugar, sifted
• 2 tablespoons Coconut cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grab a 20-21cm cake tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, spice mix, baking powder and salt until well incorporated.
3. Make the topping by stirring together the chopped gula melaka and 50g softened butter until creamy and combined. Spread into the base of the cake tin.
4. Add 60g unsalted butter to the dry ingredients and whisk using a hand mixer at low speed to mix, until it has the texture of damp sand.
5. Next, prepare the cake batter. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the milk, pineapple syrup and vanilla extract using setting 1.
6. Pour in the wet to the flour mixture bowl gradually and whisk until smooth. Stop halfway to scrape down the bowl. Then continue to whisk.
7. Lay the pineapple rings on top of the gula melaka butter in the cake tin. Pour the cake batter on top.
8. Leave cake baking in the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes, until it’s golden brown on the outside and cooked all the way through.
9. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, before flipping the cake out onto a serving plate.
10. To prepare the coconut cream, use a hand mixer to whip the cream and coconut cream with the icing sugar until it holds its shape.