SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
Learn to make this sweet treat that’s perfect for afternoon tea or any occasion at all
Love baking but don’t own any snazzy kitchen equipment?
Worry not as Seashore’s “Best Of The Best 5” Bilingual Cookbook ($9) sidesteps from the usage of baking tools with its innovative recipes.
Aside from its easy-to-follow pointers and step-by-step instructions, the cookbook will teach you lesser-known-and-tried baking techniques, which include baking with a rice cooker and achieving crème brulee’s glazed surface without a torch.
Here’s an easy recipe to try at home:
5 egg yolks
50 g caster sugar
50 ml fresh cream
30 g unsalted butter (melted)
60 g superfine cake flour
1 tsp coffee essence
1 tsp instant coffee powder
5 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
5 tbsps granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
150 g cream cheese
30 g unsalted butter
30 g icing sugar
80 ml whipping cream (whipped)
- Cake: Dissolve coffee powder in 1 tbsp of hot water.
- Mix Ingredients A in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with an electric whisk for 30 seconds. Add sugar gradually and beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg white mixture from step 3 into the egg yolk mixture from step 2 evenly.
- Line and grease an 11×14-inch baking pan. Pour in batter. Bake in a 200℃ pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a clean parchment paper. Set aside to cool.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese, butter and icing sugar until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream.
- Combination: Spread a layer of filling on the cake.
- Roll up the cake and let the end facing down. Wrap with plastic wrap and twist the two ends to fix well. Refrigerated for 3 hours before serving.
Preventing cracks on a Swiss Roll
Before rolling up the cake, trim off the edge at 45 degrees so that when the cake is rolled up the bottom will be flat. Lightly cut horizontal lines on the cake (inner side) to ensure ease of rolling and to prevent cracking.
The”Best Of The Best 5″ Bilingual Cookbook is available at Popoular book stores.