Toss the gloss and dress up your puckers with the dreamiest matte lip colours
Photo by Samantha Francis; Styling by Elizabeth Lee
From drugstore favourites to the covetable Kylie Lipkit, matte lip colours have been one of the top trends this season.
Not only do they edge out glosses and sheer lipsticks in terms of staying power, matte shades also deliver a modern vibe with their creamy, vivid hues.
1. Fall in love with the perfect shade of chestnut rose when you try the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita ($31). This matte liquid lippie is creamy, with a colour-rich formula.
2. The 3CE Lip Lacquer in Desert Flower ($29) may look like a vampy shade, but it’s extremely wearable. It’s lip-hugging cashmere gel has a creamy texture so it glides on easily, leaving a soft, matte finish.
3. Inspired by the luxurious texture of rose petals, Lime Crime Velvetines Matte Lipstick in Suedeberry ($27) is a long-lasting matte liquid lipstick in a coral red hue.
4. For a classic true red hue, try Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon ($44). This velvety matte lipstick delivers extended wear without flaking or drying.
5. CLIO Virgin Kiss Silkuid Lip Matte in Cream Salmon ($22.90) applies like a smooth gloss but dries to a light and weightless matte finish.
6. Laura Mercier Paint Wash Liquid Lip Colour in Rosewood ($40) makes for a great everyday lipstick. It’s moisturising, long-lasting and comes in a rose shade that is universally flattering.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of Weekender, Issue 158, August 5 – August 18, 2016, with the headline ‘Truly matte-ly deeply’.