Impress your guests with Chef Emmanuel Stroobant’s spring roll recipe, which showcases European cheese
- 2 tbs Canola oil
- 15 Stalk lemongrass, white part only – finely chopped
- 30gm Young ginger – finely chopped
- 2 tbs Toasted cashew nuts
- 2 tbs Dried shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 tbs Soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tbls Fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tbls Brown sugar
- 2 Red chilies, seeded – finely chopped
- 4 Shallots, peeled and chopped
- 100ml Cream
- To taste Salt pepper
- 60gm Gouda cheese
- 4 Spring roll skin
– Heat oil in pan. Add lemongrass, ginger and shallot and fry until fragrant. Add cashew, shrimp and deglaze with soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Season with chillies.
– In a pot, combine cream and carrots. Cook slowly until the carrots are fully cooked.
– Blend to obtain a puree then pass thorough sieve. Season to taste.
– With a peeler, make small shavings of gouda.
– Wet the spring roll skin with water, top with lemongrass, carrot puree and gouda. Roll and eat.
Chef Emmanuel Stroobant, Saint Pierre
In collaboration with the Centre National Interprofessionel de l’Economie Laitière (CNIEL), with support of the European Union, Chef Emmanuel Stroobant has created a variety of dishes to demonstrate the versatility of European Cheese.
This recipe of Gouda Spring Roll With Lemon Grass And Carrot Puree is his take on the Vietnamese snack, with a artisanal twist.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of Weekender, Issue 164, October 28 – November 10, 2016, with the headline ‘Gouda Spring Roll with Lemon Grass and Carrot Puree’.