The list includes hawker stalls and restaurants, all costing less than $45 per head
By Samantha Francis
Since the announcement of Michelin Star Guide Singapore, speculation is rift with whether hawker stalls would make the mark. Now, the rumours have finally been put to a close.
In anticipation of the announcement of the very first 2016 Michelin Guide Singapore selection on July 21, 34 restaurants and street food outlets have been distinguished with a Bib Gourmand by the Michelin inspectors.
This distinction, as popular with chefs as it is with gourmets, rewards establishments that offer a high quality menu at a reasonable price — a maximum of S$45.
“With some firm favourites selected by our inspectors for their good value for money, we are particularly pleased to present a preview of the Bib Gourmand establishments included in the 2016 Michelin Guide Singapore,” says Michael Ellis, Michelin Guides’ International Director.
As a nod to our island’s vibrant and diverse street food culture, the list reads like a who’s who of hawker favourites, with 19 cuisine styles represented, including Indian, Cantonese, and even Vietnamese.
Here are the restaurants that made the list:
Bib Gourmand restaurants
1. Alaturka (Bussorah St)
2. Hjh Maimunah (Jalan Pisang 11-15)
3. Ka Soh (College Rd)
4. Kok Sen (Keong Saik Rd)
5. Lagnaa (Little India)
6. New Ubin (Sin Ming Road)
7. Peony Jade at Keppel Club (Bukit Chermin Rd)
8. Shish Mahal (Albert St)
9. Song Fa (New Bridge Rd)
10. 328 Katong Laksa (Coast Rd)
11. True Blue Cuisine (Armenien St)
12. Whole Earth (Peck St)
13. Yhingthai Palace (Purvis St)
14. Zaffron Kitchen (East Coast Rd)
Bib Gourmand establishments located in food markets
15. Claypot Laska (Alexandra Village Food Centre)
16. A Noodle Story (Amoy Street Food Centre)
17. Famous Crispy Curry Puff (Amoy Street Food Centre)
18. Hong Kee Beef Noodle (Amoy Street Food Centre)
19. Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling (Amoy Street Food Centre)
20. The Fishball Story (Golden Mile Food Centre)
21. Wedang (Golden Mile Food Centre)
22. Famous Sungei Road Trishaw (Hong Lim Market & Food Centre)
23. Na Na Curry (115 Bukit Merah View Market & Food Centre)
24. Chey Sua Carrot Cake (127 Toa Payoh West M&F Centre)
25. Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (Maxwell Food Centre)
26. Shi Hui Yuan (Mei Ling Market & Food Centre)
27. Alliance Seafood (Newton Food Centre)
28. Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice (Tiong Bahru Market)
29. Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee (Tiong Bahru Market)
30. Balestier Road Hoover Rojak (Whampoa Market Place)
31. Liang Zhao Ji (Whampoa Market Place)
Other Street food Bib Gourmand establishments
32. Bismallah Biryani (50 Dunlop Road)
33. JB Ah Meng Kitchen (2 Lorong 23 Geylang Road)
34. Sin Huat Eating House (659 Lorong 35 Geylang Road)
More information here.