Recipe: Golden Phoenix with Mandarin Sauce By Martin Yan
SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
Crispy skin, tender meat, and a tangy citrus sauce!
Also, it takes less than two hours to prepare this whole chicken!
• 1.5 kilograms whole Chicken, cleaned, cavity emptied and wiped dry
4 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 inch of Ginger, peeled and crushed
½ cup of Soy sauce
¼ cup Mandarin orange juice
¼ cup Oyster sauce
½ tablespoon Cooking caramel
1 tablespoon Sugar
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon White pepper
• 2 Mandarin oranges, peeled and cut into 3 centimeters horizontal slices
• 2 sprigs fresh Parsley
• ½ Cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
• 1 teaspoon toasted White sesame seeds
• 8 small Romaine lettuce leaves
• 1 stalk Green Onions
• 2 Red chili, sliced
• 2 tablespoons Mandarin Orange juice
• ¼ tablespoon Black pepper
• 1 tablespoon Honey
• 1 tablespoon toasted White sesame seeds
• A pinch of Five Spice powder
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C for 15 minutes.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl, and place 2 tbs into the chicken cavity.
3. Place the whole chicken into a large ziplock bag, pour in the remaining marinade, squeeze out all the air and seal the bag. Massage the marinade evenly over the chicken through the bag.
4.Leave to marinade in the fridge for 24 hrs (a minimum of 6 hours).
5. Take the chicken out of the fridge, and butterfly it, cleaving out the back bone.
6. Place the chicken skin side down on an oiled roasting rack over a roasting tin and leave to dry under a fan for up to 4 hours (or place in the fridge or use a hairdryer).
7.Wrap the chicken wing tips and drumstick ends in small pieces of oiled foil.
8. Place the chicken in the oven’s centre rack, roasting for 35 minutes. (If it gets too brown, cover the tray with foil.)
9. In a bowl, mix together mandarin juice, black pepper, honey, sesame seeds and five spice powder.
10. After 35 minutes, brush mandarin juice mixture over the chicken, remove the foil at the wing tips and drumsticks, and roast for a further 8 – 10 minutes.
11. To serve, arrange the lettuce, cucumber and sliced mandarin around the chicken on a contrasting serving platter. Sprinkle with green onion, red chili and sesame seeds.