Recipes and tips from local chef Violet Oon!
Eggs and cheese make a delicious combination and this easy to prepare dish stretches your dollar as it’s a complete nutritious one-dish meal for the family. Choose locally farmed vegetables, which are freshest, since the time between harvesting and displaying on supermarket shelves is much shorter.
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 100g shredded cheddar cheese
- A pinch of white pepper powder
- 4 slices of bread, preferably wholemeal
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 100g spinach
- 100g onions, diced
- 50g red capsicum, diced
- 50g green capsicum, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- Break 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk well. Pour milk into egg mixture, whisk well and add cheese, salt and pepper. Continue whisking and mix well.
- Cut bread diagonally, into 4 triangles. Butter each slice of bread on 1 side.
- Put all the bread into egg mixture and soak it for 10 min.
- In the meantime, boil a small pot of water and put in the spinach. When it turns limp, drain it. Cut the spinach into fine shreds. Squeeze dry.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or wok until hot, add in the onions and stir-fry till limp before adding the capsicums and do the same.
- Lay the base of a small baking dish with bread and add some of the egg and cheese mixture. Add some spinach and fried onions and capsicums over the whole surface.
- Top the dish with the remaining bread followed by the spinach, fried onions and capsicums. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the top.
- Pre-heat the oven at 160ºC for 10 min. Place the Egg Spinach and Cheese Bread Pudding on the centre rung of the oven and bake for 30 min till the pudding is puffed up and brown on top.
- Serve as a family meal or tea time snack with salad for 4 persons.
Food safety tips
- Do not leave cooked food at room temperature for more than 2 hours
Brought to you by:
For the Freshest, Go Local
Choose locally farmed vegetables and eggs supplied from farms that are certified and accredited under the Good Agricultural Practice for Vegetable Farming (GAP-VF) Scheme and Singapore Quality Egg Scheme (SQES).
Look out for these quality assurance logos and be assured of buying the best.