Recipe: Chilled Tofu With Pidan By Chef Damian D’Silva Of Folklore
SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
Home cooking is tributed with this easy recipe
When whipping up a solid aglio olio pasta dish, Chef Damian D’Silva advises to wait a good 15 minutes just for the garlic cloves to cook through. Here to dine at Folklore, we squirm in our seats. Isn’t that a tad long?
Not for the hot-blooded Eurasian-Pernankan mix chef, it isn’t. Because if he is to cook something, he’s going do it the right way.
In fact, the dishes Chef D’Silva churns out at the Singapore heritage restaurant are a reflection of traditional cooking techniques – laborious, painstaking, but nonetheless yield mouthwatering results. The recipes are original, gleaned from the master chefs of his Eurasian grandfather and Peranakan grandmother during a time when fancy equipment was not invented and sloppy shortcuts were not encouraged.
While dishes such as the amazing Sambal Buah Keluak Fried Rice ($22) might take a considerable effort to pull off, Chef D’Silva shares an easy-to-make recipe of chilled tofu and pidan (centuary eggs). Best part? You don’t need a hot stove to make this refreshing dish!
Yield for 4 to 6 servings
• 8 Century eggs
• 3 packets of Yakko Tofu
• 1 bottle of pickled lettuce
• 200 grams of Oshinko pickled radish
• 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon of Kikkoman soya sauce
• A few slices of pickled pink ginger
• 100 grams of spring onions
1. Mash up the century eggs with a fork
2. Dice the pickled lettuce and pickled radish to about 2 cm cubes
3. Slice the white part of the spring onions into short lengths and julienne the
green parts for garnish later.
4 Mix the mashed century eggs, pickled lettuce, pickled radish and diced
spring onion together.
5 Season with Kikkoman soya sauce and sesame oil
6. Mix in the tofu
7. Garnish with the julienned spring onion and pickled pink ginger slices
8. Serve chilled
Tel no.: 6679 2900, 9021 9700
Operating hours:Lunch: 12.00pm to 2.30pm, Dinner: 6.00pm to 9.30pm
Pssst! Are you a wordsmith looking for a platform to showcase your work? We want you! Click here to find out more...