A red snapper with crispy skin and savoury sauce!
Also, it takes less than an hour to prepare!
• 1 whole Red snapper, scaled and gutted (1.5.to 1.8kg)
•½ teaspoon Salt
•¾ teaspoon Black pepper
• 2 sprigs Cilantro
• ¼ cup Fish/Chicken stock + ½ teaspoon Sugar
• 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
• 50 grams unsalted Butter, cut into long thin strips
• 1 tablespoon Spring onion, sliced
• 4 cloves Garlic, minced
• 3 stalks Green onion, halved
• 1 Red chili
• 2-inch Ginger, julienned
• 2-inch Ginger, sliced
• 2 teaspoons Corn-starch + 4 tsp Water
• 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
• ½ tablespoon Cooking caramel
• 1 teaspoon Honey
• 1 stalk Green onion, julienned
• 1 Red chili, sliced
• ¼ Carrot, julienned
• 1 tablespoon Fried shallots
1. Preheat electric oven upper/lower heat to 200°C for 10 minutes.
2. Get your whole fish and make 2 deep slits diagonally along the topside thickest part of the body, on both sides. Then make 3 slanted cuts in each side of the body.
3. In each slanted cut, stuff in 1 butter strip and 1 ginger slice, then rub all over with salt and pepper.
4. In the fish cavity, stuff butter, chili, cilantro, green onion and garlic.
5. Lay out a bed of aluminium foil (it should be 4x the width of your fish and 2x the length). Centre the foil in a deep baking tray. Place the fish in the middle and pour in the fish sauce and fish stock, then wrap it up into a pouch, leaving a loose tent over the top for steam to collect.
6. In a bowl, combine the glaze ingredients well.
7. Bake the fish for 30 minutes at 200°C, then remove from oven, open the pouch and generously brush the glaze over the fish.
8. Then increase only the upper heat to 230°C and bake for another 10 minutes.
9. When done, open the pouch and dish out the fish to a serving plate. Pour the liquid from the pouch into a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
10. Gradually pour in the corn-starch mixture until you’ve reach the desired consistency, it should not be too thick. Then pour at the sides of the serving plate, maintaining the top of the fish crispy.
11. To serve, garnish with green onion, red chili, carrot and fried shallots.