Recipe: Walnut, vanilla bean & cream cheese wontons with oranges
SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
MasterChef Australia’s Season 4 contestant Amina El Shafei shares her unique take on the Chinese wonton
- 16 egg wonton pastry wrappers
- 130g Philadelphia Cream Cheese block
- 1 vanilla bean, insides scraped & reserve pod
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped walnuts
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Fresh baby basil or dill fronds for garnishing
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, strained
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Reserved vanilla pod
- Segment oranges and put cut pieces aside. Using the unused oranges, squeeze half a cup of juice and strain. Use the juice for the syrup.
- Combine the orange juice and sugar in a saucepan on high heat. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes until well combined and slightly thickened. Remove vanilla pod and leave aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, walnuts and vanilla. Mix together well. Take a wonton wrapper, and lightly dampen the edges with water.
- Place a small ball of the cream cheese filling in the centre and fold the edges into whatever shape you prefer. Repeat the process until all 16 wontons are made.
- Heat vegetable oil to 180 degrees Celsius. Carefully drop wontons in the hot oil, a few at a time, and cook until golden. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Assemble warm.
MasterChef Australia Season 5 airs on Lifetime, StarHub TV Ch 514, on weekdays at 7pm and 11pm.
Enjoy a luxurious coffee experience in the comfort of your home from the heart of Italy. Life is even better with Tazzanera!
Made with the finest coffee beans that are roasted and ground to perfection, Tazzanera is 100% made in Italy and *Nespresso-compatible. Our coffee capsule blends are formulated with the original Italian espresso tradition.
🛒 Shop now to experience the exquisity of Italian espresso:
Official Site: www.tazzanera.sg