This healthy chicken soup is a nice reprieve from all that heavy festive eating. Try organic foods with this recipe by the Organic Trade Association.
Serves about 4 – 8 persons
• 1 organic chicken (about 1 kg)
• 200g of conpoy (dried scallops)
• 3l of water
• 20g of dried longans
• 30g of lily bulbs
• 40g of lotus seeds
• 20g of snow fungus
• 20g of red dates
• Handful of wolfberries
• Sea salt and white pepper to taste
• Wash conpoy, place in bowl of water and soak 30 minutes.
• Clean the chicken well. Remove excess fat and skin, if desired. Blanch in a pot of boiling water. Remove chicken and drain well.
• Wash herb mix and soak in water for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
• Bring herb mix (except the wolfberries) and water to a boil in a pot.
• Add conpoy and chicken, bring to a boil again.
• Lower heat and simmer 3 hours. Remove froth from surface.
• Just before serving, add wolfberries and simmer for a few minutes.
• Season with sea salt and white pepper.
Organic products can be purchased from places like FairPrice Finest and Cold Storage.