Tender and juicy braised beef and potatoes in a rich savory sauce!
Also, it only takes less than an hour to prepare!
• 500 grams Beef, cut into bite sized chunks
• ½ Red onion
• 4 cloves Garlic
• 1-inch, Ginger
• 1 whole Egg
• 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
• ½ teaspoon Salt
• ½ teaspoon Black pepper
• 1 tablespoon Chili flakes
• 2 tablespoons Corn-starch
• 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil – to frying cutlets
• 2 cups Vegetable oil – to shallow fry potatoes (add more oil if needed)
• 1 medium Red onion, cut into 0.5 centimeter rings
• 1 large Potato, par-boiled, cut into 8 wedges
• 1 large Tomato, quartered
• 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour + 4 tbsp Chicken/Beef stock
• 50 grams Green peas
• 1-inch Ginger, sliced thinly
• 1 tablespoon Goji berry, soaking in 3 tbsp Water
• 300 milliliters Chicken/Beef stock
• 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon Sugar
• Salt to taste
• Black pepper to taste
• Pinch of 5 spice powder
• 1 stalk fresh Basil – garnish
1. Use the food processor’s chop mode to finely mince onion, garlic and ginger.
2. Then switch to mince mode, and add in the beef chunks. Mince until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Transfer the beef mix into a large mixing bowl, then add in the egg, oyster sauce, chili flakes, salt, pepper, 2 tbs of oil and corn-starch. Use your hands to give it a good mix.
4. Make sure both your hands are oiled before shaping the beef into 6 patties.
5. Heat up oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add in all the cutlets, flipping the cutlets after 1- 1.5 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate when they are seared golden brown but still juicy inside.
6. In a separate shallow pan or saucepan, heat enough oil to shallow fry the potato wedges. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate when crispy and brown.
7. Using the same pan to fry the cutlets, add in 2 more tbs of oil. Then toss in onion rings, green peas and ginger till fragrant.
8. Then add in the broth, soy sauce, pepper, sugar, salt, five spice powder, goji berry juice and half the soaked goji berries. Let it simmer.
9. Then add in the potatoes and beef cutlets, allowing it to braise over a gentle simmer for a few minutes.
10. To serve, first dish out all the vegetables and potatoes. Then lay the beef cutlets over the vegetables and pouring all of the sauce.
11. Garnish with goji berries and fresh basil.
This recipe is provided by Asian Food Channel. For more recipes like this, visit their newly revamped website.