This Indonesian sweet soy sauce grilled chicken is jam-packed with flavour. Savour this quick and easy recipe!
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 large chicken
Cut into four pieces
- 4 Tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 chili padi (bird’s eye chili)
- 8 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp white peppercorns
- 3 buah kemiri (candlenuts)
Roasted and finely chopped, or substitute with macadamia or cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp belacan (shrimp paste)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tsp tamarind water
Mix ½ tsp tamarind paste with 1 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 2 ½ cup water
- Vegetable oil
Step 2 – Make spice paste
- In a blender, blend 3 Tbsp butter, chili padi, shallots, garlic, white peppercorns, candlenuts, ½ Tsp salt, belacan and 1 Tbsp fish sauce until smooth.
- If mixture is too dry, add vegetable oil to achieve a smooth consistency.