Find out why these seven French pharmacy essentials are staples in beauty editors’ skincare regimes
By Samantha Francis & Elizabeth Lee
(Photo: Samantha Francis)
Just as the fashion industry takes its cue from the runways of Paris, beauty editors, makeup artists and models alike have long raved about the amazing beauty products they’ve found on the shelves of French pharmacies.
Don’t expect to find any super fancy items here. The reason why some of these products have attained cult beauty status is thanks to their affordability and highly-effective formulas.
We suss out the essentials that deserve a place on your beauty counter.
1. The lightweight Creme Simon Brightening Detox Restorative Light Night Moisturiser ($98) contains potent active ingredients to refine and nourish your skin overnight. Plus, it is non-comedogenic and contains no silicones, alcohol, oil or parabens.
2. Need a mid-afternoon pick-me-up? Tone and refresh your skin with the La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water ($20.90 for 150ml). The spring waters used are rich in the powerful natural antioxidant, selenium, as well as minerals that are scientifically-proven to soothe and soften. It’s safe for use on sensitive skin and even on babies.
3. The long-time choice of celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk ($14.90) works as a grease buster, volumiser and waterless cleanser for your scalp. Its compact size makes it great for frequent travellers, for use after the gym or for people always on-the-go.
4. If you need a boost in radiance, the Bioderma Hydrabio Creme ($44.90) offers lasting hydration with ingredients like Vitamin PP and apple seed extract. The creamy texture comfortably envelops skin and it’s great for sensitive and / or very dry skin.
5. The Talika Light Essence Cellular Activator Photo-Beauty Therapy makes use of a special “Photo-Beauty Enzyme” that uses light to repair damaged cells. It has a weightless watery texture, which helps to improve our skin’s ability to receive and transmit the benefits of daily skincare.
6. Keep your skin smooth and supple all day with the SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel ($156 for 15ml). Enriched with vitamin B5, it provides optimal hydration without clog-ging pores and leaves skin feeling supple. It’s ideal for all skin types and plays well with Vitamin C products.
7. The Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Purifying Gel ($33), is oil-free and helps to eliminate impurities and excess sebum while unclogging pores. It’s rich in salicylic acid, hypoallergenic and free from parabens.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of Weekender, Issue 153, May 27 – June 9, 2016, with the headline ‘French flair’.