SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
Our local breakfast staple recreated by Asian Food Channel’s celebrity chef
Photo: Asian Food Channel
Celebrity chef Anna Olson returns to inspire culinary enthusiasts and home cooks alike with her new cooking show, Inspired with Anna Olson, on Asian Food Channel.
In the series, she journeys through Southeast Asia, traveling through countries like Ho Chi Minh City, Manila and Kuala Lumpur to learn the secrets of their local cuisines. She then recreates the dishes with her own signature twist, back home in her Canadian kitchen.
With one of the pit stops being Singapore, there’s no better way to celebrate than with this Kaya French Toast, inspired by our breakfast staple.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 250ml coconut milk
- 2-3 Pandan leaves
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 75g butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 250ml 2% milk
- 8 slices day-old egg bread
- 200g flaked sweetened coconut
- Butter for the pan
- Fresh fruit, as garnish
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium heat with the pandan leaves for about 4 minutes (to draw out the flavor). Remove the pandan leaves and discard. Add half of the brown sugar to the coconut milk and whisk in to dissolve.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, whole egg and remaining half of the brown sugar. In a separate bowl, have the butter ready with a strainer placed over the bowl. Slowly pour the hot coconut milk into the eggs while whisking the eggs constantly. Transfer this back to the pot and whisk over medium heat until thickened, about 4 minutes. Pour this through the strainer over the butter and whisk until the butter has melted. Cool the kaya to room temperature, then cover and chill completely until ready to use.
- For the French toast, whisk the eggs in a flat dish and then whisk in the milk. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a little butter, enough to coat the pan when melted and swirled. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and then dip one side into the coconut to coat. Place the bread slices, coconut-side at the bottom, in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat in batches until all the French toast has been cooked (French toast can be held in a 160 °C (325 °F) oven to keep warm.
- To serve, arrange the French toast on plates (you can cut the toast in half, if you wish) and spoon the Kaya generously overtop (a little extra dish of Kaya on the side might be nice – it’s delicious!). Top with fresh fruit and and serve.
Alternatively, serve the French toast with the Kaya alongside poached or fried eggs.
“Inspired with Anna Olson” airs every Friday at 9:00pm, on Asian Food Channel, StarHub Ch 435.
Enjoy a luxurious coffee experience in the comfort of your home from the heart of Italy. Life is even better with Tazzanera!
Made with the finest coffee beans that are roasted and ground to perfection, Tazzanera is 100% made in Italy and *Nespresso-compatible. Our coffee capsule blends are formulated with the original Italian espresso tradition.
🛒 Shop now to experience the exquisity of Italian espresso:
Official Site: www.tazzanera.sg