By Deborah Yap
- 180g butter, unsalted and softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 188ml light sour cream
- 1 & 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 75g walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees and grease a 20cm / 8-inch round pan.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda, and sift into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time, at low speed.
- Fold in the sour cream and chocolate chips.
- Fold in the sifted flour one-third at a time.
- Add in the walnuts (optional) and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Allow cake to stand for 10 minutes before turning it onto a wire rack.
Notes & Tips
- All ingredients to be at room temperature.
- ‘Bulla’ light sour cream was used to make this cake.
- Do not omit the orange zest, as it is flavourful.
- Be careful not to over beat the eggs as it may curdle and cause the cake to sink or to have air pockets within the cake.
- Gently fold in all the flour to prevent over-mixing.
- The cake can be stored in an air-tight container for about three days, or a week in the refrigerator.