Chef Dan Segall is back to share his recipe for these easy treats that would be ideal for a weekend brunch
Dan Segall, Executive Chef of The Big Idea group, which counts The Pelican, Fat Cow and Kinki in its stable, shares with us his recipe in the TOTT cookbook, “Best Brunch Ever: Delicious Morning Recipes to Savour”.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 500g bacon, chopped
- 100g white or yellow onions, chopped
- 25g garlic, chopped
- 50g raisins
- 100g brown sugar
- 40ml balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of mace, allspice or nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a cast aluminium cornbread and dessert pan or heavy cast iron skillet, add the butter. Place pan in the oven to melt the butter and heat up.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, polenta, salt, baking powder and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and eggs and whisk until frothy.
- Slowly add milk and eggs to dry ingredients and gently stir. Once combined, carefully remove the pan from the oven and pour the melted butter into the batter. Stir well and pour batter into the skillet, ensuring it is not filled to more than 3/4 full.
- Bake until the sides of the bread start to pull away from the pan, or about 20-25 minutes. Test by sticking centre of bread with a wooden pick. It should come out clean but not dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Serve warm with bacon jam.
- Add all ingredients into a saucepan and reduce to a thick, jammy consistency, about 1 hour.
Visit www.ToTTStore.com or the TOTT store at Sime Darby Centre, 896 Dunearn Road, #01-01A, Singapore 589472 to get a copy of “Best Brunch Ever: Delicious Morning Recipes to Savour”, retailing at $12.90.