Here’s a quick and easy recipe for a spicy Vietnamese take on a succulent salmon dish.
Serves 4 people
- 4 salmon fillets, skinned
- 150 g sugar
- 150 ml water
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 1 pc 4 cm ginger, peeled and julienned
- 3 Tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 bok choy, sliced in half
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, leaves stripped for garnish
Step 1 – Cook caramel sauce
- Place a large deep pan or wok over a medium high heat.
- Add in the sugar and 100 ml water, let it cook for 5 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally until you are left with a dark caramel.
- Do not stir the mixture, add more water if the sugar starts to crystalize.
- Pour in the remaining 50 ml of water and the fish sauce, bring to a steady boil.
- Add the garlic, chili (reserving some slices for garnish) and ginger and stir.