Recipe: Steamed Squid with Squid Ink Sambal By Martin Yan
SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
Savour for yourself the delicious combination of sambal and squid ink
Also, it only takes around an hour to prepare!
• 6 large Squid (approx. 200 grams each), ink sacs intact
• 200 grams Bean thread noodle, cooked
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
SPICE PASTE INGREDIENTS:
• 10 Dried chilies, soaked and drained
• 5 fresh Red chilies
• 100 grams Red shallots, peeled
• 50 grams Garlic cloves, peeled
• ¾ inch Fresh turmeric, peeled
• 1-inch Ginger, peeled
• 4 Lemongrass, root removed, cut into chunks
• 10 grams Belacan, dry toasted
• 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
• 3 Squid ink sacs
• 2 Lemongrass, root removed, crushed and dry-toasted in a pan till lightly brown
• ¾ cup Tamarind water, made with 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste and 1 tbs warm water
• 2 Kaffir lime leaves, torn
• 2 teaspoons
• White sugar
• White pepper to taste
• 2-3 Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
• 1 Red chili, julienned
• 1 Lime, quartered
1. To clean squid, first firmly grasp the head of the squid and pull it out of the body along with the cuttlebone. Immerse squid in a bowl of water to remove the skin on the outside by simply peeling it off. Cut the tentacles off just before the eyes and reserve. Remove and discard the beak, the eyes and the cuttlebone.
2. The ink sac is located in the middle of the entrails, gently remove the ink sac and set aside – be careful not to puncture. Score only the top side of each squid body halfway thru.
3. To make the spice paste, toss rehydrated chilies, red chilies, shallots, garlic, turmeric, ginger, lemongrass and belacan into a mixer grinder to blend at medium setting, until smooth.
4. In a bowl, combine 2 tbs of the spice paste, salt and oil with the squids, then leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
5. Cook squid in steamer oven at steam setting for 7 minutes. When cooked, remove and reserve the liquid from the squid.
6. Heat up oil in a pan for frying the rest of the spice paste. Toss in the kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass, mixing the ingredients well.
7. Next to the pan, add in the squid ink sacs, tamarind water and sugar. Use your spatula to break up the ink sacs while frying the ingredients.
8. Pour in the squid juices and bring up the heat to a simmer.
9. When thickened and adjust the seasoning with sugar and pepper.
10. To serve, lay the bean thread noodles first on your serving plate. Then spoon a generous amount of squid ink sambal over the noodles, followed by placing the steamed squids on top of the noodles. Spoon more sambal in between the squids, garnish with red chilies and lime wedges.
Enjoy a luxurious coffee experience in the comfort of your home from the heart of Italy. Life is even better with Tazzanera!
Made with the finest coffee beans that are roasted and ground to perfection, Tazzanera is 100% made in Italy and *Nespresso-compatible. Our coffee capsule blends are formulated with the original Italian espresso tradition.
🛒 Shop now to experience the exquisity of Italian espresso:
Official Site: www.tazzanera.sg