Portable, easy to eat and extremely delicious, there is no doubt that onigiri is the perfect to-go snack with different fillings of salmon, tuna and Japanese pickles!
Serves 3 people
- 700 g Japanese rice
- 120 g salmon
Sliced (Substitute with leftover cooked salmon)
- 120 g tuna
Diced (Substitute with canned tuna)
- 80 g umeboshi
- 1 to 2 sheets nori
- 6 g ginger
- 30 ml Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp white sesame seeds
- 50 ml mizkhan vinegar
- 35 ml mirin
- 35 ml light soy sauce
- 75 g white sugar
- 5 g salt
- 600 ml water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Step 1 – Rinse and cook Japanese rice
- Rinse Japanese rice in water and drain until water runs clear. This should take 4 to 5 times.
- Place rinsed Japanese rice in the rice cooker and add water. Let it cook according to rice cooker instructions.
Step 2 – Make vinegar mixture and teriyaki sauce
- In a pot on medium heat, mix mizkhan vinegar with 5 g salt and 40 g white sugar. Continue stirring for 2 to 4 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Set aside rice seasoning.