An variant of goreng pisang, or fried banana, popular in Indonesia – these are a delicious, sweet treat!
1 hour needed (10 mins for preparation, 50 mins for cooking)
Serves 6 people
- 2 medium bananas
- 4 slices white bread, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk powder
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 110 ml milk
- 200 g bread crumbs (can be substituted with panko or Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp salt
- 50 g sugar
- 25 ml water
Step 1 – Mix and steam batter
- In a bowl, add egg, 1 Tbsp milk powder, 1 tsp salt, 50 g sugar, 25 ml water, 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp vanilla essence. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, roughly mash bananas with a fork.
- Fold in diced bread into the bananas, then gradually add in the batter from step 1. Stir to combine, then transfer to a 5×5 inch heatproof dish.
- Steam for 30 minutes, then leave to chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.