Fancy having beef out of a coconut husk?
- 7 Bird’s-eye chilies
- 3 large Onions, quartered
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 stalks Lemongrass
- 4 centimeters fresh Turmeric
- 4 centimeters young Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- ½ cup Water – to blend
- 1 green Starfruit, deseeded and cut into 5 strips
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Coconut cream
- 1 cup Water – to boil
- 1 Starfruit, sliced – garnish
- 250 grams Beef tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Coconut husk, cut in 2
- Shredded husks from 1 Coconut
- In a bowl, rub turmeric powder and salt all over the meat then leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- When done marinating, heat a wok and place shredded coconut husk in an aluminium foil basket, then place a gridiron on top.
- Smoke the meat on the gridiron over medium-high heat. Even without using any oil; the coconut husk will emit a lot of smoke, so ensure your kitchen is well ventilated. This will take 3 hours.
- When the meat is done, make the gravy. In a blender, toss in onion, chilies, garlic, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger and water, blending it till smooth.
- Marinate the starfruit slices with turmeric powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat 1 cup of water then pour in the blended ingredients with 1 tsp salt, letting it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Next, pour coconut milk into the pot. Stir well and let simmer.
- On a flat pan, put in marinated starfruit and the smoked meat, pressing it down on the pan for a few minutes.
- Once ready, slice the meat into 4cm-wide slices.
- Then toss the meat and starfruit into the pot and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- To serve, dish out the meat with starfruit into half cut coconut husks and garnish plate with sliced starfruits.