SHARE WITH FRIENDS!
Recreate this beautifully braised dish by Chef Alvin Leong of Baba Chews
Photos: Baba Chews
Chef Alvin Leong
With more than a decade of kitchen and F&B management experience across hospitality establishments in Singapore, Head Chef Alvin Leong currently leads the culinary direction and operations at Baba Chews Bar & Eatery, a standalone all-day dining outlet introduced alongside the launch of Hotel Indigo Singapore Katong.
- 1 piece Bean curd cut half, fried till golden
- 2 Quail eggs, cooked
- 2 pieces Deveined foie gras, pre-sliced
- Few leaves Coriander
- 20g Local cucumber, finely julienned
- 1 tbsp Peanut, roasted and crushed
- 40gm Bean sprout, cooked
Brine Solution (for bean curd)
- 100gm Sea salt
- 10gm Peppercorn
- 1 stick Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 1 litre Water
Lor Chap (Soya Braised Stock) — Step 1
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 2 slices Ginger
- 5 Shallot
- 5 Star anise
- 10 Cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp Clove
- 1 tbsp Salted soy bean
- 1 tbsp White peppercorn
Lor Chap (Soya Braised Stock) — Step 2
- 5 litre Water
- 1kg Chicken bone
- 150ml Light soya sauce
- 80ml Dark soya sauce
- 20gm Rock sugar
- 20gm Oyster sauce
- 20ml Chinese wine
– Heat up medium pot with some cooking oil, place list of ingredients (Step 1) and sauté till fragrant.
– Mix all ingredients from Step 1 and 2 and simmer for 1-2 hour, fine strain and set aside for use.
– Mix brine solution ingredients well until salt dissolves and set aside.
– Soak bean curd into brine solution for an hour, remove and set aside.
– Preheat a pot of oil enough to fry one bean curd, 160°C. To fry for approximately 6 to 8 min, until bean curd turns crispy. Strain and set aside.
– Heat up Lor Chap, braised foie gras and quail egg for approximately 2 to 3 min, until all soften.
Remove quail egg and set aside.
– Use another non-stick pan and lightly burn the outer layer for ‘charred’ taste.
– For assembly, cut the sides of the bean curd and taste the saltiness. Place foie gras on top of bean curd, half the quail egg and place around bean curd. Pour 2 spoonsful of ‘’Lor Chap’’ on top of foie gras and bean curd.
– Garnish with beansprouts, julienne cucumber, sprinkle some crusted peanuts and lastly, add a few pieces of coriander.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of Weekender, Issue 162, September 30 – October 6, 2016, with the headline ‘Foie Gras Tau Kwa Pau’.
Make Your Reservations Here
Enjoy a luxurious coffee experience in the comfort of your home from the heart of Italy. Life is even better with Tazzanera!
Made with the finest coffee beans that are roasted and ground to perfection, Tazzanera is 100% made in Italy and *Nespresso-compatible. Our coffee capsule blends are formulated with the original Italian espresso tradition.
🛒 Shop now to experience the exquisity of Italian espresso:
Official Site: www.tazzanera.sg