A specialty Malaysian dish, this dry chicken curry is slow cooked, resulting in a fragrant and tender chicken. Here’s how to do this at home.
50 mins needed (10 mins for preparation, 40 mins for cooking)
Serves 2-4 people
- 1 kg chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 Tbsp kerisik (toasted coconut, store bought)
- 9 shallots, chopped
- 15 red chili, chopped
- 10 red chili padi, chopped (optional)
- 100 g garlic, chopped
- 40 g ginger
- 40 g turmeric, chopped (can be substituted with 15 g turmeric powder)
- 40 g galangal, chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass (white portion only)
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 10 lime leaves
- 1 turmeric leaf
- 300 ml coconut milk (substitute with yogurt for a healthier alternative)
- 6 Tbsp raisins, chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
Step 2 – Cook rendang
- In a wok on medium heat, add spice paste and cook until the paste is fragrant and reduced.
- Add in coconut milk, lime leaves and turmeric leaf and stir to mix. After 10 minutes, add in the kerisik.
- Add in chicken and cook for another 30 minutes on low heat until the chicken is tender and cooked.