This beautiful broth is as good on your palette as it is for your heart
With World Heart Day just right around the corner (September 29), there’s no better time to shine the spotlight on one of, if not the most important muscle in our body. A recent study by the Singapore Heart Foundation revealed that nearly one third of all deaths in Singapore are due to heart diseases or stroke. That’s an alarming 16 people dying from cardiovascular disease every single day.
Prevention is always better than cure, and with our collective adoration for food, what better way to protect our hearts than doing what we know best? Eat! This recipe from Bosch features all ingredients beneficial for heart health. Carrots contain vitamins A, K, and C, and are extremely rich in antioxidants. The fibers, potassium, and vitamin C in oranges are reported to support heart health, while ginger consumption has been known to decrease the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart diseases.
Carrot and Orange with Candied Ginger Soup
1 kg Carrots – washed, peeled and sliced thinly
100 ml Cooking oil
1 tbsp Unsalted butter
50 g White onion – peeled and sliced
20 g Chopped garlic
1 L Chicken stock
20 g Fresh thyme
2 Oranges – peeled and cut one into wedges
To Taste Salt and white pepper powder
5 g Sea salt crystal
5 g Fresh ground black pepper
10 ml Extra virgin olive oil
20 g Dried candied ginger
1. In a heated medium pot, add oil and onion.
2. Fry till softened and add garlic, carrots and butter.
3.When slightly softened, add chicken stock, orange juice and thyme.
4. Bring to a boil, then simmer to allow carrots to cook and flavours to infuse.
5. Remove the thyme. With a sieve, strain ingredients from the soup and set aside half ofthe strained liquid.
6.Blend the ingredients. Adjust the consistency of the soup with the blended ingredients to your preference
7. Adjust taste of soup with salt and pepper.
8. Garnish with dried candied ginger, sea salt crystal, fresh ground pepper and extra virgin olive oil.