Whip up a taste of Vietnam in less than 30 minutes
Up your reunion dinner game with this authentic Asian dish
• 1 kilogram Mussels, cleaned and debearded
• 2 teaspoons Vegetable oil
• 1 Lemongrass, finely sliced
• 2 Lemongrass, bashed then halved
• 5 Red shallots, minced
• 5 cloves Garlic, minced
• 6 Bird’s eye chili, cut into halves lengthwise
• 200 milliliters Coconut milk
• 800 milliliters Seafood stock
• 3 tablespoons Fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon Sugar
• 2 Kaffir lime leaves
• Freshly ground Black pepper, to taste
• ½ bunch of Vietnamese mint
• ½ bunch of Cilantro
• 1 Red chili, sliced
1. Heat the oil over high heat in a deep pot, then add lemongrass, shallots, garlic, chilies and kaffir lime leaves, sautéing until fragrant and soft.
2. Next goes in the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, pepper and sugar. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the mussels and cover the pot tightly, until mussels have opened, which means it is cooked. This will take about 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning of fish sauce and pepper if needed.
4. Ladle out the mussels with the broth into a serving dish. Garnish with spigs of cilantro and Vietnamese mint.