This Indonesian sweet soy sauce grilled chicken is jam-packed with flavour. Savour this quick and easy recipe!
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 large chicken
Cut into four pieces
- 4 Tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 chili padi (bird’s eye chili)
- 8 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp white peppercorns
- 3 buah kemiri (candlenuts)
Roasted and finely chopped, or substitute with macadamia or cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp belacan (shrimp paste)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tsp tamarind water
Mix ½ tsp tamarind paste with 1 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 2 ½ cup water
- Vegetable oil
Step 5 – Coat chicken in dark soy sauce
- Transfer the chicken onto a baking tray and coat the chicken generously with 2 Tbsp kecap manis.
- Place chicken in a preheated oven at 180°C and bake the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, until it is well cooked and caramelized.