Cooking channel MeatMen shares one of their favourite dishes to cook on a grill
Photos: The MeatMen
Grill Time And Temperature
45 to 60 minutes. 180°C
Indirect medium heat
INGREDIENTS (makes four)
4 chicken thighs with drumsticks attached (approx. 320g each)
- 10 Medium whole shallots
- 10 Tablespoons Kecap manis
- 50ml Water
- 30g Fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 30g Fresh lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 5 Large garlic cloves
- 5 Fresh lime leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Assam paste
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
In the kitchen
– In a food processor combine all the marinade ingredients. Blend until you get a smooth paste.
– In a large zip lock bag, mix the chicken thighs and the blended marinade paste. Press the air out of the bag, seal tightly, and leave it in the fridge for 2 to 8 hours (in the lower compartment of the fridge if you are residing in hot climates like Singapore).
– Remove the marinated chicken thighs from fridge and let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before grilling.
At the barbecue
– Preheat your grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (about 180°C). Brush the cooking grate clean.
– Grill the chicken over indirect medium heat (using roasting shield and rack), with the lid down, until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 45 to 60 minutes, turning once. Serve warm.
Meet The MeatMen
Cooking channel hosts, ‘greedy’ lads and video-making extraordinaires, The MeatMen are on a mission to promote local cuisine through easy-to-follow video recipes. From hawker favourites like prawn paste chicken to trendy creations like salted egg burger, they’ve done it all.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of Weekender, Issue 158, August 5 – August 18, 2016, with the headline ‘Ayam Bakar’.