The convenience store chain has plans to extend the soft serve offering to 37 stores by end September
As National Day approaches, it is normal to see big brands start gradually rolling out locally-inspired specials that celebrate our great nation’s birthday.
Last week, we saw KFC dropping their salted egg-flavoured Gold Spice fried chicken, and then McDonald’s pulling all the stops with the D24 Durian McFlurry and a new Ha Cheong Gai menu, consisting a burger and drumlets stuffed with real prawn paste.
For 7-Eleven, it was bringing back an oldie but goodie to its stores – Mr Softee Chendol.
While the move isn’t outrightly made to coincide with the National Day festivities, the soft serve’s return couldn’t have come at a better timing.
First launched in the early 1980s, Mr Softee Chendol was something that has evolved into an actual craving, sought after by school kids and child adults for almost two decades. It was then later discontinued in 2000.
But now, long-suffering fans can help themselves to a swirl of Mr Softee Chendol at selected 7-Eleven stores. Fond memories of the soft serve are surely rekindled as its recipe is described to be the exactly the same as the one served 18 years ago. Each cup goes at $1.50.
“We are also mindful of products or trends that were big hits with customers in early days and so we endeavour to bring them back for limited periods as a tribute to 7-Eleven fans past and present,” shares Steven Lye, Managing Director of 7-Eleven Singapore.
To embrace this heartwarming nostalgia, Mr Softee Chendol is served in machines that embody retro arcade consoles, sporting colours and prints of the 80s game – Space invaders. A jingle from the old-school video game even rings out with every push of the ‘start’ button of the soft serve machine.
7-Eleven has plans to progressively extend the Mr Softee Chandol to 37 stores by September 2018.
But if you’re hankering for a taste of Chendol and nostalgia, here are 10 outlets that you can get your soft serve fix:
- Blk 423 Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4, #01-260, Singapore 680423
- Blk 445 Fajar Road, #01-556, Singapore 670445
- Blk 689B Choa Chu Kang Drive, #01-306, Singapore 682689
- 170 Bencoolen Street, #01-03, Ibis Singapore on Bencoolen, Singapore 189657
- Blk 446 Pasir Ris Drive 6, #01-112, Singapore 510446
- 271 Bukit Timah Road, #01-03, Balmoral Plaza, Singapore
- 11 Orchard Road, #B1-18, Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station, Singapore
- 144 Arab Street, #01-01, Singapore 199829
- Blk 185 Pasir Ris Street 11, #01-60, Singapore 510185
- 766 North Bridge Road, Singapore 198734